Sunday, April 20, 2008

DAVID TAO CONCERT!!

I’ve been looking forward to the concert for several reasons. First of all, it marks the end of assignments, tests, FYP, and the start of the reading week. Secondly, after spending $171 on the tickets for the premium seats, I was having high expectations, even if it’s David Tao.

Met up with Bingde, Rayner, Chunwei and his friend at KLP for dinner before proceeding to the indoor stadium for the much anticipated David Tao concert. Was actually struck by a sense of familiarity as I remembered attending his concert 2 years ago for the first time. Same place, same timing, with almost the same people, and the same sense of anticipation.

The décor on the stage was simple, unlike the “tropical rainforest” theme 2 years back. Not that I really care, I’m here for the music rather than the aesthetics. As people are still making their way in, we had to wait for quite awhile before the concert finally began. And boy, what a show!

First song up was one of my all-time favorites, the “yes no song” from his first album. Was pleasantly surprised by the arrangement he made to the music. This was followed by the concert “must-have”s like 飞机场的1030,鬼,讨厌红楼梦,黑色柳丁 and many more! Compared to the concert 2 years ago, I would think that David was on tip-top condition yesterday, effortlessly flaunting his range and vocal techniques. Totally mesmerizing.

I particularly loved how he re-arranged 忘不了,月亮代表谁的心. It’s amazing how the entire feel of the song can be changed depending on how he sang it. One moment he was having us rocking with him with songs like “鬼” and “小镇姑娘”, and the very next moment you can almost feel the sadness when he belted out songs like “天天” and “爱我还是他”. It was literally a roller-coaster ride of emotions.

Best songs of the night had to be 爱我还是他 and 太美丽. They were so perfect you almost had to remind yourself that he’s singing them live! The dance medley also had almost everyone in the stadium up on their feet and dancing to the beat.

Despite taking out quite a number of songs from his routine such as 流沙 and 二十二, and the lack of newer songs like 无缘, 自导自演的悲剧 and 不爱 (which we were really wishing to hear) I enjoyed every minute of his performance. Perhaps my vocab is too limited, but I feel words can’t really bring out the power of his voice, the atmosphere, nor how we felt. It was that good. Seriously.

If I really wanted to be picky, the only flaw would be perhaps the dancers, who added no value to the show besides allowing David to rest. =P

I was reminded of why I liked David Tao and his music in the first place. He’s not exactly handsome, there’s no fancy costumes, and there’s no spectacular visual effects. Yet the raw power of his music and voice really captures the heart. Absolutely fantastic.

It was worth every cent of the ticket. =D

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Xiong,

Thought I would share my review of the concert. The concert was awesome!

http://kormmandos.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/david-tao-concert/

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 PM  
Blogger michellekwok said...

Hiya... nice dropping by ur page! Im also a big fans of DT from Hong Kong! I went to 2 shows of his concert in HK this yr... I can fully agree with you! he is just so amazing with his passion, powerful and great voice. Actually he was a bit sick during hk concert. but he still did very good show!

oh well. I also agree with you... about the dancer.. they r quite boring and mis-match with DT's music. bUt i guess he just try to make his concert more entertaining. I hope some others audience (not excatly his fans) also appreciate his music instead of just go for entertainment. hehe

cheers :)

April 25, 2008 at 1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home