Sunday, March 23, 2008

update

It’s the end of March. 2 more assignments, 1 thesis, 2 presentations, 1 project, 2 exams, and then I’m out of university life. Probably gonna start work once my exams finish, then take paid leave for a week perhaps haha (due to reliable sources that it’ll be better for my year-end bonus and promotion =p)

Anyway there hasn’t been a great deal to update about recently. Feel like going to the movies, or ktv, or bball, but think everyone will be very busy till the end of exams. As for myself, I’m forcing myself to work on my FYP thesis everyday (well, almost), trying to finish it a week in advance so I can have time to edit it and add in all the appendices and references. Thank goodness I’m at the final chapter already. =)

With 清明节 approaching, I went to pay respects to my paternal grandparents today. Happened to be talking about mas (the JI terrorist leader) with my aunt, who’s working at ST Logistics, and how the whole issue is getting ridiculous. Basically we agree that he’s no longer in Singapore, and all the searching are just wasting our resources (in an attempt by the “higher authorities” to show that they are doing something). Its controversial enough that he was able to slip away (yes all the speculations about an insider’s job) Since my aunt’s in charge of logistics, she shared with us some of the ridiculous items requested by the searching parties involved. An example of such requests include sunglasses with special coating so that rainwater can slide off the lens easily (who the hell wears sunglasses when it’s RAINING???)

And while we were on the subject, we also spoke of how the “new generation” of army has degraded. In my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with having new facilities, better food or better equipment. But seriously I cannot stand the sight of recruits pulling their duffel bags on wheels (make them look like air stewardesses really). I always thought carrying the “ali-baba” bag was another form of training. I mean, sure, my army life is nothing compared to those in my father’s days. They had crazy Israeli officers, ate uncooked rice, had to scrub toilets using toothbrushes, and had pathetic allowance. We get to eat catered food, have proper cleaning equipment, beds and had our punishments limited to 20 push-ups (usually anw). But seriously, with the cut in duration to 2 years, higher pay, and better equipment, surely “training” is not something that should be compromised? 50m rundown for SOC? Wheeled duffel bags? C’mon, what’ll be next? Forbidding push-ups as punishments? Shorten the route marches? No more outfield? I cant wait to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home