Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Examiner is Chee Hong

Yes. I’m not trying to be rude or anything, but that’s his name.

Yesterday I had my FYP CA2 presentation to him. Having the presentation in his office was intimidating enough, added to which he kept frowning throughout the 20 minute presentation, you can imagine how I felt then. However, as professionally as I could, I finished the presentation. Then came the missiles to shoot me down.

First, he complained (yes not commented, but complained) that my presentation was too brief, when it was he himself who asked for a 20-slide-20-minute presentation. Then he started shooting me down in areas which I felt was aimed at me supervisor (prof K) rather than me. Throughout the whole process he did not ask me any questions that tested my concepts, but rather complained that the experiments I did seemed like a waste of time. Hello, ALL the experiments were done upon the request of MY SUPERVISOR, NOT ME.

And then I learnt the truth.

This examiner (prof P) is the founder of an engineering company (I later learnt that my own supervisor has his own company too. Rich @$#!). Apparently it seems like he and my supervisor are rivals in some sense. Worse, we once approached his company wanting to purchase some instruments, but later decided against it as it does not suit our requirements.

How unlucky is that? To get this Prof P as my examiner and Prof K as my supervisor. F**k.

And today I made a wasted trip to NUS again (wats new). I had hoped to finally be able to get started on a experiment today, when everything is finally ready to be tested. I reached the lab only to realize that the power supply is not there. I mean, it was ALWAYS there in the lab (who would wanna steal sth lidat?) but today, someone borrowed it. WTH. Talk about being unlucky huh? Someone up there must be laughing.



ANYWAY. Went to watch 投名状 with rayner bingde and weiwei yesterday at century square. Wanted to catch the 7pm slot at TM but ended up the seats were sold out so we went for the 845pm slot at CS instead. Not a bad show I’ll say, albeit abit draggy (127 mins) here’s how the story went.

李连杰stars as a general who was pang seh-ed by another ally and has his whole army wiped out at the start of the show. He managed to survive by feigning death, and was rescued by this woman (刘德华’s wife) who ran away from her tribe. Both fell in love with each other. When he woke up in the morning, she was gone.

李连杰 was then brought to刘德华’s band of bandits by 金成武 (acting as Andy’s brother). The trio then took an oath of brotherhood and brought their men to become soldiers of the imperial court, where they can get paid and would no longer be bullied by soldiers. The story goes on as the trio begins conquering cities against all odds blah blah blah…

Ok shall not type the wholes story out here. Eventually cracks appeared in their relationship and all 3 ends up dead.

To me, besides all the bloody and gory battle scenes (a soldier blown into pieces by a cannon) there seems to be a deeper lesson to be learnt. All 3 brothers seemed to have done the right thing, yet all ended up dead as a result of the scheme of 3 wily old men.

李连杰 demonstrated utilitarianism. After the battle of Suzhou, he ordered the deaths of 4000 survivors of the city because there was not enough food to go around, and they had to carry on conquering Nanjing to make the lives of 1 million others better. To him, a small sacrifice is necessary for the greater good.

刘德华 was the typical good guy, but was assassinated by Jet Li eventually under the imperial court’s orders.

金成武 plays the obedient brother who agrees to everything Jet Li says, and yet at the same time is also fiercely loyal towards Andy Lau. He avenged Andy Lau by killing Jet Li, and turns himself in to be sentenced to death by the imperial court, so as to honor their oath.

Worth watching =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home