Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Busy!

Been wanting to blog for quite some time but simply cant find the time or energy to do so till now. Even as I’m wrinting this blog entry I’m on my way to NUS. For FYP, wat else?
But more on that later, first a recap of what’s been happening the past few days.

Thursday.
Went to teoheng ktv with weiliat huihuang rayner and bingde. Come to think of it it’s the first time my friends from 2 different cliques sang ktv together. Had a lot of fun with bingde’s kaopeh-ness and huihuang’s “think of me”. I have to admit life’s never boring when you have friends like huihuang and bingde hahaha.. GREAT. After that went to meet up with the lan gang to a dimsum shop near Mustafa area.

Friday – Saturday.
Do FYP report. Full stop.

Sunday.
Celebrated Rongxian’s bday at Marina Square. Had lunch at Imperial treasures and was served by this.. erm.. aunty by the name of Susan. I mean no offence, she’s efficient in her service la.. but like bingde said, her demeanor suggests that she’s better suited to working at kopitiam =X Went to bowl after that and Wendy had the highest score of 104 hahaha (though its la sup =p) cos when she throws the ball moves too slowly for the system to detect and she gets a second try wahaha. But it was bingde who won the day with his typical-bingde-style-guailaness near the end of the game. Absolutely hilarious.
Lihui and Cuihua had to leave early and the rest of us proceeded to teo heng (again) to sing ktv from 7-9. Bingde left to join his artsclub friends and the remaining of us had dinner at 五星鸡饭.

Monday.
Went all the way back to NUS to submit my FYP report to the examiner and pass some stuff to a fellow FYP student. After that traveled all the way back to kallang again to meet huihuang and weiliat at KLP (Kallang Leisure Park). Nostalgia flooded me as I walked along the once-familiar path to my secondary school hangout place. Memories of ice-skating, bowling, playing arcade, eating at BK etc. KLP really changed a lot. Looks pretty much like a shopping mall now. Went to the arcade to relive some of the old days by playing para-para lol. Really treasure th moments of us doing something silly and laughing our asses off at each other. =) that was followed by bowling at the new bowling alley. The lane is goog and the balls are all new. Scored 153, 133 and 140 compared to the 102 when I played on Sunday haha. But my advice is to go play on a weekday morning, cos its cheaper ($2 per game). Dinner was at old airport road, another favourite hangout during my high school days. The Fuzhou Fishball noodles are still delicious as ever =D.

Tuesday (yesterday)
Went to visit my grandma at simei then back to rayner’s house to watch Singapore vs Thailand. Must say that Singapore has still quite a way to go, and seriously I’m skeptical about them qualifying for the World Cup 2010 (don’t misunderstand me, I still support the Singapore Team, but the way they play is rather disheartening). Bingde and Chunwei came after that and we had a game of mahjong while waiting for Chunwei’s Liverpool game at 3am. I won $8 yes lar =p.
Rayner drove us out for supper (teochew porridge). Chunwei watched his soccer match while the rest of us dota-ed 3 consecutive games (3 wins haha) all the way till 615am. Went home for a couple of hours of sleep and here I am, dragging myself on my way to NUS again.

So well, the past few days have been eventful and enjoyable, but everytime I go out to have fun with my friends there’s always this nagging feeling of “something” that needs to be done. And yes, that “something” is the dreaded FYP. Yet at the same time really cant bring myself to dive in and concentrate on FYP. In the 10 days that followed the end of my exams I was practically doing my FYP CA2 report EVERYDAY. In fact, I was so sick and tired and mentally drained from working on the report that I decided to conclude it though I could have added more stuff inside. That shows how sick I am of it.

On top of that, I got other miscellaneous stuff that I need to do. Writing Xmas cards, Going to AMK to configure my PSP, buy external hard disc going Simei to visit my grandma (who recently injured her knee during a fall and had to be hospitalized) etc. All these makes me reluctant to spend a 1.5 hour trip to NUS and 1.5 hours back just to do some petty experiments. The trip to and fro school really drains me and usually takes up my whole day.

My friends are probably getting sick of me complaining about FYP every time I meet them, but I’m definitely not exaggerating how sucky it is. Unlike previous semesters where I can forget about everything after the exams and really enjoy my holidays, FYP requires me to put in continuous effort even during the holidays. Its not gonna be concluded till next year’s late April. And I cant afford to slack either, since my fate lies with my Prof.

To quote from bingde’s blog, “Every high score you get is accompanied by the hope that the mean is pathetic, and every low score u get is followed by the prayer that the whole cohort chui” How true. In Primary school 91 marks is an A*. In Secondary School 75 is an A1. But in NUS? Even if you manage to score 80/100 for a test, you will not be guaranteed an A. On top of that, you don’t get back your final exam papers, which makes up the largest percentage of your grade usually. Hence whether you do well or not depends on the person marking your script, and you’ll never know if he or she made a mistake in marking your exam scripts. Like I said, grades are more dependent on the lecturer rather than the module (just compare Proddar of Micro1 to ST of Micro2). Studies at this stage is no longer fun, no longer the naïve “pursue of knowledge”. Its all about the grades, about doing better than others. 13 weeks every semester for you to prove where you stand, and usually one mistake is all it takes for you to flunk. No second chance.

Alright. Enough about academics. I can only hope that Santa will give me the grades I hoped for on the 27th. Meanwhile, I’ll just try to enjoy myself whenever I can.

投名状? Anyone? =p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home